There has been a recent upsurge in cases of viral illnesses with Flu-like symptoms. Flu is a viral infection caused by the influenza virus. Persons experience fever, headaches, joint pains, muscle pain or body pain, sore throat, cough, runny nose, sneezing and malaise
How to reduce your risk of getting the Flu
- If you are sick:
- cover your mouth when you cough and cover your sneeze to reduce the spread
- Isolate yourself from crowded, public places, work and school
- Wash your hands often to prevent the spread of germs to others
- Healthy persons should wash hands often and before a meal to decrease the risk of becoming infected
- Enhance your immune system:
- Use foods rich in antioxidants (fresh vegetables, fruits,)
- Get adequate sleep
- Drink lots of water to keep hydrated
- Reduce stress levels
- The Flu Vaccine helps you develop immunity to the Flu virus and prevents flu infection. If persons do become infected it is often a mild illness.
Protect yourself this season with good
hygiene practices, boosting your immune system and getting your Flu shot!